Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Annoy me please!

Went to see the play "Annoyance" at Tata Hall on the 18th of March. Decision to drive all the way till churchgate from Four Bungalows was not as bad as I had thought it would be. One and half hours of drive and a hundred rupee fine for "lane-cutting" (frankly, I had no idea such thing existed) got me to Tata Hall.
The play started at 7 but some people kept coming in till around 7.15. Believe me, that way I really like the discipline at Prithvi. The doors are closed well 10 minutes before the play starts. But here, even during the play, people were going out to recieve their phone calls.
Anyways, coming to the play. Well, I loved it. I laughed my heart out. Jagdish Rajpurohitand Nazneen Madan were amazing. Vivek Tandon sounded too british for the play.
Jagdish plays an annoying person who is believed to have developed ANNOYANCE as an art form. Nazneen and Vivek played a shrink couple who are at the recieving end. The first act involved Jagdish torturing Nazneen with his annoying antics. The second act showed Vivek losing his cool because of Jagdish while the third act was about Nazneen and Vivek getting even with Jagdish.
For me, the first act was the best. The character was being introduced and all the antics were fresh. The best part was though I was laughing at the shrink getting annoyed, I was also feeling sorry for her. The second act bordered at being repetitive and Vivek's performance bordered at going overboard. The third act was a relief again. When the two shrinks celebrate their victory, you tend to wonder whether the annoyance has been cured???
Before treatment, you'd have asked the character:
Are you really this disgusting, or you do this to annoy me?
After the treatment, you'd end up asking:
Are you really this stupid, or you do this to annoy me?

No comments: